KETO Diet… What is that?!
The KETO Diet is nothing new- it was invented in the 1920s and 30s as a way to help epilepsy patients. In recent years, it has become increasingly popular due to its amazing benefits! By adopting this low-carb, high-fat, and moderate protein way of eating, you can expect weight loss (more specifically, fat loss), laser-sharp mental focus, and improvements in overall health.
I will never advocate a one-size-fits-all approach to diet, but I have seen the low carb method transform my clients’ control over their appetite, cravings, body composition, mood, and much more. I’ve experimented with the KETO Diet myself & love how it makes me feel.
I’ve put together a free 10-page KETO Diet Shopping Guide. Sign up below to receive it via email.
How does the KETO Diet work?
Ketosis is a metabolic state in which your body is efficiently burning stored energy in the form of ketones and body fat, instead of depending on high carbohydrate meals to sustain your cognitive focus, mood, and energy. Ketones, which are produced by your body in a carb-depleted or fasted state, can be used by your brain, muscles, and heart- just like carbs, protein, and fat. Our body and brain has a choice between using glucose or ketones for energy, but ketones are preferable because they provide MORE energy to our cells.
Positive benefits we experience from ketones and the ketogenic diet:
- Neuroprotective properties that may help prevent Alzheimer’s and other cognitive diseases. Checkout one of many research examples that show ketones’ effect on Alzheimer’s Disease: Ketone bodies as a therapeutic .
- Reduces blood glucose and insulin levels– two things that you want to be low if you want to burn fat, balance your hormones, and achieve longevity.
- Boosts mitochondrial function, leading to better cellular repair and healthier aging. To learn more about mitochondria, checkout my article, 6 Ways to Improve Mitochondrial Function.
- Creates a hormonal environment that accelerates fat loss– Ketogenic dieters report effortless weight loss. Why? Because ketone production positively impacts hunger hormones, decreases appetite for sweets and processed food, and helps to heal your metabolism.
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular conditions– Being in a ketogenic state lowers triglycerides and increases HDL. The triglyceride to HDL ratio is one of the most reliable predictors of cardiovascular risk. Research shows that a KETO Diet decreased total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood glucose in obese people. In contrast, there was a significant increase in HDL, the good cholesterol that protects your heart.
How to do the KETO Diet right & see if it’s for you…
I’m so excited to announce that I am teaming up with Cara Kretz, local cookbook author and Food Blogger, to offer The KETO Diet Workshop & Lunch on Saturday, April 7 for anyone who wants to learn about the KETO Diet and get some easy and satisfying KETO recipes. This is your chance to learn from the experts.
The KETO Diet Workshop will be held Saturday, April 7 from 11AM to 1:30PM at One Life Kitchen in Barrington. The number of seats are limited, so book early. The cost is $65 to attend. Click here to enroll.
At the workshop you’ll learn:
The difference between good fats and bad fats
Common misconceptions about the ketogenic lifestyle
How to customize the high fat, low carb approach to make it sustainable and cyclical
Everything you need to know about Bulletproof Coffee and exogenous ketones
How to personalize the KETO diet to fit your needs and lifestyle
30-Day Menu Plan
Enjoy these KETO-approved dishes for lunch and learn the recipes:
Chicken Stuffed With Cream Cheese and Wrapped in Bacon
Turkey Avocado Club On-The-Go
Peanut Butter Cups
Can’t make the workshop? Read on…
If you are NOT a Barrington resident, but you still want to learn all about the KETO diet & how to personalize it for your goals, please reach out to me. I am a Certified Nutrition & Behavioral Change Specialist, Human Potential Coach, & Personal Trainer devoted to helping you turn health information into real life implementation. One habit at a time.
You can also learn more about how I’ve adapted the KETO diet for my goals, by checking out this article and signing up for my free KETO Shopping Guide below.